Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Irritable bowel Syndrome-General Info

A Little about me and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
I want to start of by telling you a little bit about me and then fill you in with some general info about IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have had IBS as long as I can remember. which depending on how my memory is serving me is about 6-8 years. ( I am 22) So I know from experience how any digestive disorder can be a day to day struggle and at times "all consuming" to say the least. I have spent the last couple of years dedicating my free time to learning all that I can about these disorders in an attempt to better my situation and now the situations of my readers. Ok now that that is out of the way I can get to the basics of IBS.
The Basics of Irritable bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a problem that affects mainly the bowel, or the large intestine. The bowel is the part of the digestive system that makes and stores stool. IBS covers a group of symptoms. For example, IBS causes crimping, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and constipation.
Main Symptoms:
  • cramping and pain in the stomach area
  • painful diarrhea or constipation
  • mucus in the stool
  • bloated and pain in abdomen
  • feeling that you have not finished a bowel movement
The nerves and muscles in the bowel are extra-sensitive in patients with IBS. This can result in extra contractions. These contractions can cause cramping and diarrhea during or shortly after a meal. The stretching of the bowel when a person eats too much can also result in gas and bloating, which we all know can be quite painful and embarrassing.

The diagnosis for Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a little difficult. You may have every symptom in this world yet no traces of a disease or in this case syndrome. So you or your doctor will have to work a little backwards in the way that testing will be done to rule out every thing you don't have then conclude IBS is the source of your pain. After following a plan of action you will know if this is the true culprit.

The root cause in most cases is a large combination of things ranging from a poor diet to a persons lifestyle. This is a huge topic in itself which I will cover in detail in a later article.

These are the basics of IBS. The main focus for this blog is going to be the effective treatment of this and many other digestive illnesses. I will cover everything from diet and lifestyle changes to effective and some not so effective homeopathic treatments I really hope you will continue to read on.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

hi again. I just posted on one of your other entries and everything I'm reading I'm like, "me too! gahh I can't eat that either. That's how I feel after I eat that!" etc. If you see any of these comments anymore, I'd love to keep in touch with you. Misery loves company eh?

my email is lesley825[at]gmail.com (obviously with the @ symbol, but you know how spammers love free email addresses haha)

lesley said...

oops i totally left the wrong email just now!! that is not me, haha. I forgot it is actually lcd825[at]gmail.com sorry!